Sunday, April 26, 2009

Family=Success=Family

Today I attended a picnic held by Greenville Technical College Charter High School in celebration of their tenth anniversary. The picnic was designed for the whole family, not just staff of the high school.


I believe that is the reason behind the school's success - inclusion of the family in the education of the child. Since I have a junior in that school, I can attest to the fact that parental involvement is not just invited but required.


We often hear that that is what is missing in today's secondary system - family involvement. But family support is critical even in higher education, yet it takes a different form. We expect, and should develop, a sense of responsibility and accountability on the part of college students, but that doesn't mean that family support isn't crucial to the students' success.


At commencement ceremonies, I ask students to applaud their families (spouses, parents, children, etc.) for supporting their efforts to strengthen themselves and their families. In thinking about this more, maybe we have viewed the education of a child all wrong. We often say education is important for the individual, and it is, but maybe the focus should be on strengthening of the family, or future family, through individual development. That does tend to put the focus back on the family and the importance of education for each member of the family.

I am a member of a group in Greenville County with a mission to make education a priority for all in the county - to raise the level of awareness and importance. Should this group take on the challenge of refocusing education from an individualistic benefit to a family benefit? Doesn't it make sense that if you strengthen one you will strengthen the other?


What should be the role of Greenville Tech in this challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment